Consolidate overlapping city department functions


Stage: Active

Campaign: Effective government

Combine management, billing and accounting fuctions at City Light and SPU. Why does City Light, SPU and Office of Housing all run their own utility rebate and energy efficiency programs? Why does the city need an Office of Housing department when there is already the public Seattle Housing Authority with much the same mission?


Submitted by

Feedback Score

305 votes
Voting Disabled

Idea Details

Vote Activity (latest 20 votes)

  1. Agreed
  2. Agreed
  3. Agreed
  4. Agreed
  5. Agreed
  6. Agreed
  7. Agreed
  8. Disagreed
  9. Agreed
  10. Agreed
  11. Agreed
  12. Agreed
  13. Agreed
  14. Agreed
  15. Agreed
  16. Agreed
  17. Agreed
  18. Agreed
  19. Agreed
  20. Agreed
(latest 20 votes)


  1. Comment
    Community Member

    Why does the Department of Neighborhoods also take payments for City Light, etc? They pay rent for something like 7-13 offices throughout the City, that house ONLY 2 or 3 City employees at best-BUT City Light ALREADY HAS 2 of there VERY own offices THAT SERVES THE EXACT SAME FUNCTION? SO our TAX dollars go to these 7 offices and these employees in them-to make it more convenient for people to pay their bills in person?

  2. Comment
    Community Member

    start by combining the Fire Department HR and EEO and MIS positons - they are reduntant and do the exact same thing as the City's functions

  3. Comment
    Community Member

    I already combine my payments to City Lite ans SPU by stapling the invoices together and writing one check. I'd like to receive a single billing.

    I'm not aware that I can pay online or have automatic deductions from my bank account. It would reduce paper handling enormously.